The Project F.I.S.H. or 'Friends involved in Sportfishing Heritage' program fostering school-community partnerships and programs that engage youth in long term and continuous, community supported, sportfishing and aquatic resource education experiences.
To initiate and provide fishing education and fishing skills to interested adults and youth from Michigan's many diverse populations. This will preserve a natural heritage that ensures the future of fishing, which includes natural resources and environmental awareness, ethical fishing practices, fisheries stewardship, and positive developmental activities for children, families, and the community.
The Michigan Project FISH program works through a statewide committee with representatives from: Michigan 4-H Youth Programs, Michigan State University Dept. of Fisheries and Wildlife, Michigan Dept. of Natural Resources Fisheries Division, Michigan United Conservation Clubs, recreation departments, service organizations, sportfishing industries/retailers, volunteers, and many others.
- Provide multiple experience sportfishing giving youth gradual, sportfishing mentoring and a lifelong learning process.
- Develop in kids an appreciation of the outdoors and outdoor ethics and behaviors.Encourage kids to spend time outdoors.
- Introduce youth to sportfishing as a hobby and lifetime pursuit.
- Reach youth through clubs, schools, and sportsmen's organizations.
- Help adults as mentors spend time with youth.
- Involve teachers, adult volunteer youth leaders, teen leaders, and retirees as mentors.
- Provide training for volunteers, with volunteers attending as members of a local team.
- Help instructors develop willingness and ability to start and sustain a long term program in their local communities (including management/coordinator strategies)
- Help instructors and youth gain new knowledge and confidence, enjoyment of the outdoors, aquatic biology/ecology, ethics and angling skills.
- Show local teams of instructors how to use available resources that highlight accessible fishing opportunities.